The role and aim of SABBWWA is:
• To provide a self-governing and self-regulatory body to present the industry.
• To provide a common and unified communication vehicle between individual operators, Marine & Coastal Management (MCM), the Media and General Public.
• To ensure the interests of the permit holder are protected against future opportunistic developments bearing in mind the investment in time and finance in establishing this embryonic business.
• To ensure the future of the Whale Watching industry through control of the strategic developments in marine-Eco-tourism, and to the upliftment and benefit of the local communities.
• To encourage and build the Boat Based Whale Watching Industry in a controlled and environmentally friendly manner.
• To continuously promote the sustainable use of South Africa’s marine environment as enshrined in section 24 of the South African Constitution of 1996.